From Chancery Court to Mansfield Park: A One Year Anniversary Digest

Young Lady in a Boat by James Tissot, 1870.

Young Lady in a Boat by James Tissot, 1870.

Last March, a questionnaire from my literary agent about my social media presence prompted me to finally join Facebook and Twitter.  The very next day on March 23, 2015, I started this blog.  Initially, I wasn’t sure which direction I would go in, however, in real life I’m a crackerjack researcher and—according to my last boss—I write exceptionally compelling briefs.  Since my latest book hadn’t sold yet and I had no blurbs or buy links to post, I decided to focus my skills on the subjects I love best: 19th century Romance, Literature, and History.

As of today, MimiMatthews.com has had over 196,000 hits.  It has been featured as a WordPress Editor’s Pick and my articles have been linked on the websites of academic institutions, animal organizations, and many others.  I have even seen my articles cited in undergraduate papers and assigned to students as additional reading!

I have no idea what the one year mark of a successful blog looks like, but I feel incredibly fortunate to have received such a great response.  I am especially thankful to all of you who comment regularly.  Even when I love an article, writing a comment is often a chore.  The fact that you take time to leave your thoughts on my posts means a great deal to me and I try very hard to respond to every comment.

There is no new article today, though I will have a fresh Animals in Literature and History post for you on Friday.  In the meantime, here are five of my favorite articles from my first full month of blogging way back in April of 2015!

Well, that about wraps it up for this anniversary post.  Thank you all again for reading, sharing, and commenting on my articles.  Here’s to the next year researching and writing on 19th century Romance, Literature, and History!

© 2016 Mimi Matthews

For more Romance, Literature, and History, follow me on:

Facebook and Twitter

26 thoughts on “From Chancery Court to Mansfield Park: A One Year Anniversary Digest

1. Angela Booth (@angee) says:

Many congratulations on your anniversary. 🙂 And two words: thank you.

I enjoy your posts. I especially love your animals-in-history posts, they’re a real treat. I Haven’t commented before primarily because I’ve been more offline than online for the past six months, I’ve got a stash of your posts in an email folder I’ve yet to read. Keep writing — great stuff. 🙂

2. igguhs says:

This post is wonderful…and so are all your others. I do so so understand and appreciate having a passion…and wanting to share it. That sense of learning something new and aching to tell someone, “LOOK!”. Love reading your posts – tho my hotspot is Medieval MSS. History, all of it, is fascinating. Happy First Birthday! liz-montreal

Thank you so much for your kind words 🙂 I’m glad you enjoy reading my posts! I do love Medieval history, too. Sometimes it’s quite a challenge to limit my focus to just the 19th century!

3. Sarah Waldock says:

is always a good feeling when people tell you they have quoted you. Sorry for txt speak I haz brace on rt hand with pulled tendon which will be discarded when wanting to work [bad me] but is being good at m oment

4. Dorothy says:

Thanks for bringing these to my attention! Very interesting! I rather envy your ability to watch things like The Tudors and Wolf Hall. I simply couldn’t do it!

5. paper doll says:

I can’t believe you have been doing this just a year! I would add a quick learner to your last boss’s list and a thank you to your agent for giving you the nudge!

Your posts are remarkable for the excellent writing and their wonderful look, both content and art are top notch. But the blog is also a stand out because of how much you give to each post ….most authors save the majority of their research and writing for their books , a blog post is a preview of sorts and perhaps you do too, but it doesn’t seem so! That is love of the topics indeed. Thank You!

You’re very welcome 🙂 And thank you so much for your kind words–and for being one of my long time commenters! It makes me so happy to know you enjoy my blog and my articles.

6. Shelia Wallace says:

Oh my gosh and you ride dressage too — how do you have time to do all of these wonderful articles? Thank you so much, my husband and I enjoy your posts with coffee in the mornings. And I super like the paintings,

7. PJMoore says:

Congrats Mimi! I love that you are so interactive with us on Facebook and here. I think that makes all the difference to readers because you’ve become so much more than just a name on a blog header or a dust jacket for a book. Your interaction reminds me of Neil Gaiman, who reaches out to every fan he’s able and makes you feel important and appreciated as a reader. Shona Husk, a fantasy writer from New Zealand, is very much the same and she responds to every social post and question posted to her on Good Reads. Your posts, along with those mentioned, have become some of those I seek out most on social media when I do pop on there because they’re not only fascinating in subject matter but you seem to truly enjoy the reader’s commentary as well. Thank you for making the year much more interesting!

Aw thanks 🙂 You are incredibly kind. I love interacting with everyone and I really do appreciate the comments. I’m guilty of not commenting on blogs I love or following blogs I enjoy, so when someone does so at my site, I’m quite honored!

8. Juhi @ Nooks & Crannies says:

Yay!!! Happy Bloggoversary! Your keen interest in the things you research comes across so clearly in each of your posts–they’re so FUN to read about!

Here’s to you having many, many more hours of fun researching and writing (and us enjoying the fruits of those hours :D)

9. Anine Burlingame says:

I am so glad I discovered your posts. My interests are almost identical to your own. I have enjoyed every entry and hope you continue giving me something to look forward to everyday. Thank you!